Theology & Science Book Request

From: Steven M. Smith (smsmith@helios.cr.usgs.gov)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 14:44:15 EST

    Via my Pastor, I received the following request from a denominational
    Bible College in Papua New Guinea (PNG). I have drawn a blank to
    this point. Is there anyone on this list that can help me with this
    request?

    The students at this college are primarily PNG nationals that are
    training for various ministries. English is usually a second
    language. According to my Pastor who just returned from a Sabbatical
    at this college, the educational level would probably be "the U.S.
    academic equivalent of seniors in high school and 1st and 2nd year
    college students. So they can't handle highly technical material."

    You can reply to me either privately or on_list. If you choose to
    reply on_list, please Cc a copy to me since I am currently
    subscribing only to the digest version of this list.

    Thanks,
    Steve Smith

    ----- begin forwarded request -----

    You mentioned a fellow in your church that might be able to help me
    find a book that we could use as a text for our "Science" class.
    I've read a few blurbs in the catalogues about some books but can't
    really find anything that would be suitable. What I'm looking for is
    a look at what information science has discovered and how that
    "scientific" information can inform us theologically, or how that
    "scientific" information can potentially increase our understanding
    of God.

    A couple of examples:
    Light - The scripture says God is light. Our scientific understanding
    of light is that it is pure energy. That energy is useful in a
    multiple of ways. It makes visible, purifies, warms, ...... Therefore
    the understanding that God is light is that he is pure energy which
    makes visible, purifies, warms etc.

    Chemical reactions - Science teaches us that whenever there is a
    chemical change energy is produced and spent. The process of leven in
    dough is a chemical reaction which changes the original ingredients,
    produces energy which is immediately spent. That chemical change also
    is a process of destruction of molecules - God forbode the use of
    leven at special times for the sake of purity, perhaps to help us
    understand that God is not a God of destruction.????

    I am not a scientist and so my quick thoughts are obviously not well
    researched and it's been 20 something years since I formally had a
    science class. But hopefully that gives you the idea.

    The Usborne Book of Science as an introduction to Biology, Physics
    and Chemistry provides a good explanation of science but no
    theological help. It's also written for children.

    Lawrence O. Richards book "It Couldn't Just Happen" is also a
    children's book that comes close to what I'm looking for except that
    it is only trying to give some handles to answer the "law" of
    evolution.

    "Intelligent Design: The Bridge between Science and Theology" by
    William A. Dembski, (IVP, 1999 ISBN# 0-8308-1581-3) might be the
    ticket. But there might be other books that might better suit our
    purposes.

    Could you or your friend check out a few possibilities? I believe
    you have Brian and Carol's email address while they are in the
    states? If so you or your friend could also talk with Brian. He will
    be teaching the class. If we find out soon enough we can get it
    ordered and possibly Brian bring it back with him or if we determine
    the title for the text quickly enough we can order it and ship it and
    it should arrive in time.

    Thank you for your help on this.

    I'll also keep trying to do some research on this end and if I have
    other ideas I'll let you know.

    ----- end forwarded request -----

    [Opinions expressed herein are my own
    and are not to be attributed to my employer]

     Steven M. Smith, Geologist Office: (303)236-1192
     U.S. Geological Survey Fax: (303)236-3200
     Box 25046, M.S. 973, DFC smsmith@helios.cr.usgs.gov
     Denver, CO 80225
     --The USGS National Geochemical Database NURE HSSR Data Web Site--
      http://greenwood.cr.usgs.gov/pub/open-file-reports/ofr-97-0492/