Re: PJ and AIDS

From: glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Date: Sun Jan 02 2000 - 05:09:23 EST

    At 05:02 PM 1/1/00 -0800, Joel Duff wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >I am wondering if there was any discussion of the following letter to
    >Science in 1995. I just ran accross this today and what caught my eye was
    >one of the people that signed this complaint. I have not followed the
    >AIDS literature very closely. Is there anyone out there that has followed
    >the story close enough that they are aware of this group "Group for the
    >Scientific Reappraisal of the HIV/AIDS Hypothesis?" I keep up on current
    >literature so I could imagine that if there was no evidence that the HIV
    >virus was the causitive agent it would appear to PJ that this was yet
    >another example of the scientific community putting its blinders. Reading
    >the material on the web site there is much language there that sounds like
    >PJs writing so I wasn't too surprised to find his name attached.
    >Interesting his seems to be the only name of a non-scientist and I wonder
    >how he became involved.
    >
    >Just trying to kick of the new millenium with another hot topic.

    Joel,

    Johnson did get into the wierd 'HIV does not cause AIDS' movement. ON Dec
    2, 1994, Phil e-mailed me and told me that he had studied 2 areas in his
    life, AIDS and Evolution and he was convinced that scientific reasoning in
    both areas are wrong. He has also published widely on this. Here are a
    couple of notes I sent out in 1995 and 1997 respectively, comparing
    Johnson's approach to AIDS and Evolution. These notes contain most of
    Johnson's wacky AIDS statements. It is a bit frightening that this man has
    had the influence he has in Christendom!

    Aug 12,1995

    However, the reference is a magazine named INSIGHT, Feb. 14,
    1994, pp. 24-26. I have the article. This article is followed by
    one written by Peter Dusenberg who is known for saying that HIV
    does not cause AIDS This is probably some christian journal but
    since I don't read a lot of them, I don't know who puts this out.
    The article is entitled, AIDS and the Dog that Didn't Bark. The
    text introducing Johnson says, "Phillip E. Johnson is a professor
    of law at the University of California at Berkeley and is a
    member of the Group for the Scientific Reappraisal of the
    HIV/AIDS Hypothesis."

    Johnson is quite careful to avoid actually saying that AIDS is
    not caused by HIV, but uses the possiblity of a media cover-up to
    make the reader infer such. ON page 25 after reporting that a
    guy in Africa says that there is no AIDS, he writes:

    "If this were like most other subjects, the press would be
    directing some hard questions at a research establishment that
    claims to have proved the existence of a vast AIDS pandemic by
    announcing the existence of an unpublished study documenting
    deaths from causes other than AIDS. When AIDS is the subject,
    however, most reporters regard skepticism about official claims
    as eccentric."

    On page 26 he says,
    "Reporters who cover the AIDS story are told by a host of eminent
    scientists that there is absolutely no doubt that the world is
    threatened by a catastrophic plague of AIDS caused by HIV and
    that to question this fact is about as rational as to think that
    the Earth is flat."

    and
    "Which brings me back to the original point. What really is
    going on in Africa, and why aren't the American media trying very
    hard to find out? The media have a duty to be responsible, no
    doubt, but their first responsibility is to tell the public what
    is actually happening, and to regard official accounts with a
    healthy skepticism." p. 26

    "If such a mechanism can be tested and established, it will be
    one of medicine's greatest triumphs. On the other hand, when
    theories keep getting more complicated without getting closer to
    a solution, it may be a sign that something is wrong with the
    whole approach." p. 26

    "Perhaps the failure to find a mechanism will persist year after
    year, and the predicted millions of AIDS deaths will not
    materialize, What will the reporters and editors who ignored the
    warning signs do then?" p. 26
    *******end of all quotes*****

    I think there is a strong tendency on the part of Christians in
    the area of apologetics to view with suspicion anything an expert
    says.

     Sun Feb 23 16:37:02 1997