Re: love vs. intellectual study

Steven Schimmrich (schimmrich@earthlink.net)
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 00:01:22 -0400

At 08:03 PM 8/11/98 -0500, Glenn Morton wrote:

> At 12:31 AM 8/11/98 -0400, Steven Schimmrich wrote:
>
>> I also read a Josh McDowell book as a teenager which was
>> recommended to me by a Christian after I expressed doubts
>> about the truthfulness of Christianity and the Bible. I
>> can't remember the title right now (it's 12:30 am and my
>> brain's a bit foggy at the moment) but it was an apologetic
>> book formatted like a series of questions and answers about
>> various topics.
>>
>> It discussed young-earth creationism (I remember it had some
>> real nonsense in it about dinosaurs) and turned me off
>> Christianity for a couple of more years. Fortunately,
>> God didn't want to give up on me and send some people
>> with better apologetic material.
>
> OH NO! This is why today I fight as hard as I can't against the
> young-earth creationist camp. I ghost wrote that nonsensical book,
> Reasons Skeptics Should Consider Christianity. I most humbly beg
> your forgiveness.

A couple of late-night thoughts...

The YEC stuff was basically an excuse I was looking for to
discount Christianity. My worst sin, then and now, is pride.
An unwillingness to give control of my life over to something
other than myself. Therefore it wouldn't be fair of me to blame
YEC for me not committing my life to Christ at that point.

Now, having said that, I would add that the reasons I myself
waste my breath :) arguing against YEC is because I see it as an
unnecessary stumbling block in the path of new Christians and,
even more importantly, I sincerely believe many of the claims
made by YECs are demonstrably false. I think truth, honesty,
and intellectual integrity are important characters which often
appear to be lacking in YEC apologetic materials.

Finally, Glenn, of course I forgive you for ghostwriting YEC
apologetic material! If that's your worst "sin" you're way ahead
of me :).

- Steve.

--
   Steven H. Schimmrich