RE: "Bashing, choice & lamarkism" was "conservation..."

John E. Rylander (rylander@prolexia.com)
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 16:48:11 -0500

Kevin,

I especially liked this last post of yours, which is perhaps another way of
saying I very much agree with it. :^>

It's easy for me to IMAGINE a successful scientific theory that rejected
methodological naturalism (suppose, e.g., a very simple fundamentalist
theology were right, and a psychologically tiny amount of faith could
demonstrably, repeatably, and ideally quantifiably move mountains at will,
etc.), so I have no IN PRINCIPLE opposition (MN-based or otherwise) to ID.
(Indeed, I think it'd be pretty cool. :^> )

But ID just hasn't yet delivered anything IN FACT like the results necessary
to challenge the highly successful a posteriori presumption in
methodological naturalism's favor. (Maybe it's partly a priori [via a defn
of science], but certainly not incorrigibly so, except wrt some atheists.)
Maybe someday it will so deliver. But, despite claims about the
implications of irreducible complexity, it surely hasn't just yet.

Exactly as you suggest, the focus of IDers, or at least those who are
thought leaders in the movement, should be on the things that will win the
day: simpler theories and superior predictive results.

This gives IDers (at least perceptive ones) what -they- want -- freedom to
try their hand at non-MN science -- while still requiring what the
scientific community wants: superior results before extremely successful
theories and principles are discarded by the scientific community as a
whole.

John