Re: ILLogical Evolution

Cliff Lundberg (cliff@noe.com)
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 12:20:36 -0700

Arthur V. Chadwick wrote:
>These unbelievable paragraphs may help some of you understand why the
>Kansas School situation exists:

>> "Of course, there has never been any kind of plan to these experiments
>> because evolution works without either plan or purpose. Nevertheless,
>> the appearance of each phylum in the fossil record represents the random
>> evolutionary development of a basic body plan that is different in some
>> way from other body plans...

This is mostly just terrible writing, confounding senses of 'plan'. But in
support of Art's point, when I listened to the NPR show, I heard that the
lack of mention of the Cambrian explosion in the textbooks had been
explained away on the grounds that this was too new an item in the
science. That is pretty bizarre.

--Cliff Lundberg  ~  San Francisco  ~  cliff@noe.com