Re: pre-cambrian rabbits

Susan B (susan-brassfield@ou.edu)
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 19:23:25 -0500 (CDT)

At 07:05 AM 5/21/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I have two questions about this:
>1. Do we have fossil evidence of every creature that we know for a fact
>is now inhabiting the earth? I would think not. Isn't it a broad assumption
>to think that not finding a fossil is evidence that the creature never
>existed?

nice try! :-) in the Cambrian, the only vertebrates are marine, in fact as
far as I know there aren't any land animals or plants at all. If they
existed they were hiding really, really, well.

>2. How do you get the date of 4 million years for homids and 100,000 for
>humans? What is the scientific proof for that? I would again say that this
>is a theory.

As it turns out, my information is outdated. There is a considerable amount
of scientific evidence that hominids existed 4 million years ago. (science
doesn't, strictly speaking, deal in "proof" that's pretty much a
mathematical concept) Now there's evidence that hominids existed before that
time period. There was a wonderful piece in *today's* TIME magazine that
goes into a bit of detail on this subject. I suggest you read it.

Susan
--------
Peace is not the absence of conflict--it is the presence of justice.
--Martin Luther King, Jr.
Please visit my website:
http://www.telepath.com/susanb