Re: re-whales from rodents

mortongr@flash.net
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 14:51:08 +0000

At 01:11 PM 08/23/1999 -0700, Arthur V. Chadwick wrote:
>At 09:57 AM 08/23/1999 -0400, Howard wrote:
>
>>But Johnson, the law professor, is repeatedly claiming to know enough about
>>biology, paleontology, etc., to warrant his declaration that the
>>professional scientific community has gotten its theorizing about the
>>formational history of the universe entirely wrong! Shouldn't such a bold
>>claim be based on a foundation of thorough familiarity with the
>>professional judgment that he declares null and void?
>
>Are you suggesting that a person cannot speak on authority except in the
>area in which formal pedagogy was obtained??? If indeed, as I previously
>suggested, his authority was Stanley, has he said something that you would
>want to dispute on the basis that he said it?

I know this was directed at Howard, but I want to comment on it. Art, you
are an excellent geologist with little formal training in that topic. I am
a manager of geophysics who took no geology or geophysics courses in
colleges. I am good at what I do, having outsurvived 20+ other managers in
the 3 person management team and being now the second longest surviving
person ever in any of those jobs. So the answer to your question is
obvious. People can speak outside of their areas of formal training and
can be quite good at it. But such people also know enough to avoid the
silly little errors I see Johnson making. Reading one or two books on a
topic, extracting quotes out of context, or only reading authors that agree
with one's preconceptions and then writing a best seller does not qualify
one as an expert.

How many years did it take for you to become an expert in geology? It took
me about 10 years as I am a slow learner. I don't think Johnson spent his
time in the trenches learning his subject. But by telling people what they
want to hear, he has had a great impact.
glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood
Adam, Apes and Anthropology
http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm