Re: Both Evolution and Creation are models, not theories (was Darkness spreads over Kansas)

Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 06:02:03 +0800

Reflectorites

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999 07:07:31 -0500, Jeff Schnitker wrote:

>>SJ: Both Evolution and Creation are models, not theories.

This seems to be attributed to me, when it fact it was posted by
Cummins:

On Sun, 15 Aug 1999 18:58:40 -0500, Cummins wrote:

[...]

>> Both Evolution and Creationism are theories. Neither have the scientific
>> backing to be proven. Why should evolution be taught as fact when it is
>> theory? Why should creationism be taught as fact when it is
>> theory? Why not
>> teach "science" in the school system, give students the tools to test,
>> evaluate, discuss, and come to scientific conclusion based on facts of the
>> creation/evolution debate?
>
>Both Evolution and Creation are models, not theories. You hear
>Evolutionists say that Evolution ties the natural sciences together. It
>ties them together because it's the model in which the secular scientists
>use to provide context for their observations.

[...]

I agree with its sentiment, however. There really is no one "theory of
evolution" just *theories* of evolution. As Gould admitted, "Biologists do
teach evolutionary theory as a conglomerate idea consisting of conflicting
hypotheses..." (Gould S.J., "Darwinism Defined: The Difference between
Fact and Theory", Discover, January 1987, in Johnson P.E., "Darwin on
Trial", 1993, p11).

"Reduced to the initial and still crude form in which it is now emerging in
the modern world, the new religious spirit appears, as we have said (cf. I),
as the impassioned vision and anticipation of some super-mankind ... To
believe and to serve was not enough: we now find that it is becoming not
only possible but imperative literally to love evolution." (Teilhard de
Chardin P., "Christianity and Evolution", 1971, pp183-184, in Bird W.R.,
"The Origin of Species Revisited", Regency: Nashville TN, Vol. II, 1991,
p264)