Re: Empirical Evidence

Tim Ikeda (tikeda@sprintmail.hormel.com)
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 21:31:04 -0400

Hapi Daiz wrote:
> Is there any empirical evidence or are there any scientific tests
> and/or models that support a theory of intelligent design?

Good question.
Direct evidence: We have no reliable record of any creation event.
I suggest that there is no a priori reason to suppose such events
should have stopped only recently.

Codes hidden in biological structures: None found to date.

Wrecked alien spaceships: No clear evidence.
Any evidence of nearby alien cultures capable of interstellar
flight: None to date.

Monoliths on the moons or clearly "unnatural" structures: None
observed to date. The latest candidate -- the "face on Mars" --
failed recently.

Common descent of lifeforms: Not currently distinguishable
from potentially natural causes.

I agree with Brian; at this point it's mostly pushed as
a negative argument. The long promised delivery of ID's
positive or clearly distinguishable attributes have not
been delivered yet. See also: Robert T. Pennock's _Tower
of Babel_ (1999, ISBN: 0-262-16180-X)

Regards,
Tim Ikeda
tikeda@sprintmail.hormel.com (despam address before use)