Re: Human Genome May Be Longer Than Expected

mortongr@flash.net
Sun, 01 Aug 1999 11:48:12 +0000

At 09:44 PM 08/01/1999 +0800, Stephen E. Jones wrote:
>Reflectorites
>
>Here is an article from the New York Times at:
>
>http://www.nytimes.com/yr/mo/day/news/national/science/sci-humangenome.html
>
>which is claiming that the human genome might have a billion more genes
>than previously thought. If that is true, what becomes of claims that we
>share 98% of our genes with chimps? Doesn't this show that we would
>have to sequence both ours' and the chimps' genomes to know for sure?

Nothing happens to that claim. The claim was made using standard sampling
techniques and didn't involve a base-pair by base-pair comparison. If they
had done that, it would have been noticed earlier that the genome might be
a bit longer. Sampling techniques are done all the time and are fairly
accurate at assessing things.

glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood
Adam, Apes and Anthropology