(no subject)

Steve Clark (ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 11:42:06 -0600

At 08:58 AM 10/29/98 PST, Amanda wrote:
>Dear Steve,
>
>Thank you for responding to my message. I am glad that you corrected
>me. I watched a thing on tv a few years ago about evolution. It was on
>PBS and it showed that scientists had found the remains of something
>that had the body of a human and some facial features of a monkey. This
>confused me back then. Could this have been the common ancestor you
>mentioned? Thanks again.
>
>Amanda

Hi Amanda,

Welcome to the group. I hope that you can sift through the bashing and
find some illumination. Regarding your question, I am not familiar with
the primate you refer to. I also do not know its signifcance in regards to
human evolution. I do not think that the putative common ancestor of apes
and humans has been identified. In fact, it would seem that any such
identification would be extremely tentative given the uncertain nature of
this type of historical research. However, I am not the best person to
query about the details of the fossil record. Hopefully someone else on
the reflector will be able to help you out.

Steven S. Clark, Ph.D. Ph: 608-263-9137
Associate Professor FAX: 263-4226
Dept. of Human Oncology ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu
University of Wisconsin