Re: adaptation and race

Amanda Gladden (a_gladden@hotmail.com)
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 08:43:42 PST

Cliff wrote:
>The question I raised is one I've often wondered about: at what
>point did humans diverge into different races? So I jumped to the
>conclusion that this was what you were talking about. As an
>evolutionist, I tend to think everything comes from the effects
>of the environment (plus historical & morphological constraints,
>chance etc).
>
>I have to wonder about your intended meaning. Same colored skin
>means equality, different colored means unequal? Skin color doesn't
>come from environment? What does it come from?

Amanda:
Cliff, I did NOT mean that different colored skin is unequal. I have
wondered the same thing you have, at which point did humans diverge into
different races? Environmental adaptation is an idea, but I have no
clue what actually happened. Since you are an evolutionist, do you
think this is what happened?