Re: Haeckel's practices, etc.

pnelson2@ix.netcom.com
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 09:50:01 -0600 (CST)

Kevin L. O'Brien wrote:

>The real experts, the developmental biologists who know that Haeckel is
>no fraud and that his biogenetic law is the basis of modern developmental
>biology, seldom write or edit textbooks, or serve as historical scholars, so
>their voices are seldom heard.

But the situation is quite the reverse. It is Haeckel's questionable
drawings which have survived in textbooks and popular publications,
whereas the evidence casting doubt on his "biogenetic law" lives in
the primary literature, largely neglected.

The biogenetic law is not the basis of modern developmental biology.
In fact, the biogenetic law was collapsing under (a) the weight of
contrary evidence and (b) its impracticality as a research tool, even
before the rise of the neo-Darwinian synthesis (Rasmussen 1991). In
1894, Edmund Wilson, in his lectures to the Marine Biological Laboratory
at Woods Hole, held the biogenetic law primarily responsible for "the vast
number of elaborate hypothetical phylogenies which confront the modern
student in such bewildering confusion" (1895, p. 103). As he continued:

It is...a just ground of reproach to morphologists that their
science should be burdened with such a mass of phylogenetic
speculations and hypotheses, many of them mutually exclusive,
in the absence of any well-defined standard of value by which
to estimate their relative probability. The truth is that the
search after suggestive working hypotheses in embryological
morphology has too often led to a wild speculation unworthy of
the name of science; and it would be small wonder if the modern
student, especially after a training in the methods of the more
exact sciences, should regard the whole phylogenetic aspect of
morphology as a kind of pedantry unworthy of serious attention.
(Wilson 1895, pp. 103-104)

Thus, by 1909, the Cambridge embryologist Adam Sedgwick, for instance,