Re: A simple question

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 19:15:33 -0500

At 11:17 AM 10/23/98 -0400, Ed Brayton wrote:
>Steven H. Schimmrich wrote:
>
>> I would still ask Kurt why he keeps silent and has never (if I'm
wrong, please
>> correct me) publicly criticized anything any young-earth creationist has
claimed.

>Yes, you are wrong on that. What gets him into constant trouble with his
>fellow YECs is that he frequently criticizes the commonly used
>creationist arguments. I am told that his first paper at an ICC
>conference, while still a grad student, was a paper in which he
>criticized Morris and Whitcomb's nonsense about the Lewis overthrust and
>said bluntly that it was a legitimate overthrust. He has also been very
>critical of the moon-dust argument, and I have twice seen him say in
>interviews that most of what passes for creationist scholarship is
>"garbage". For this reason, many of the older YECs view him as an
>impudent punk, while many of us evolution types see him as being the
>best of a bad bunch.

I agree with Ed here. Kurt is honest with the data and will correct his
fellow YECs I have seen it also. Kurt was the only person at the 1986 ICC
conference in Pittsburgh who was helpful to me during my talk, entitled
"Geologic Challenges to a Young Earth." I got stuck on a question, and
Kurt came up with the correct answer helping me criticise YECism. And he
said it publically.

By the way, John Baumgardner just sent me an email stating clearly that it
was not correct to teach that which is wrong. I appreciate this from John.
He also was honest enough to acknowledge that meteorites are found
throughout the geologic column that the geologic column exists and that
triangulation of interstellar distances has been accomplished.

John and I have communcated with each other off and on for about 20 years.
I want to publically thank John for his honesty on these issues.

Now, why are other YECs teaching that the geologic column doesn't exist,
why are they teaching that meteorites aren't found and why are they
teaching that direct triangulation isn't possible?

glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood