Re: The canopy

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 18:16:59 -0500

At 04:33 PM 10/18/98 -0600, John W. Burgeson wrote:
>Obviously, Glenn, because they choose to believe what the Bible says
>(their best interpretation) over everything else. I don't see that they
>have any room to deviate from that position -- I know I don't. I can, of
>course, question my interpretation of the Bible -- and have done so on
>occasion. But if I were as sure of the literalness of the flood story as
>Vardiman is, and of the YEC position as Vardiman is, then I'd have to say
>he was following up as best he could on the science behind it.

And that is what I did as a YEC. But like Vardiman, I constantly had to
admit that my explanations didn't work. And you are correct about the
interpretation of the Bible being the chief cornerstone of YECism. They
never question that they might have a wrong interpretation.

>Turn the question around. Suppose Vardiman comes up someday with a
>possible scenario for a canopy -- or something similar. Would you, then,
>revert to a YEC position? I suspect not -- you (and I) "know too much."

If the other geologic questions could be answered in a coherent manner, I
would seriously consider becoming a YEC again. I have stated this on more
than one occasion. But I won't revert if they explain the canopy but
nothing else. Geology MUST be incorporated into their models and as it is,
it is not.

>Take my thought-problem a step (many steps) farther -- suppose that ICR
>is successful one day in constructing a plausible, consistent,
>explanation (one that has no more "holes" in it than conventional
>science) for a YEC position. Would you revert to being a YEC? What if
>that explanation did fail (miserably) the Occham's razor test, but still
>held together OK otherwise? Would you revert then?

As I said above, I very well might revert. but that is a tall order for the
YECs and no one has accomplished it even after 'supposedly' 130 years of
research.
glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood