RE: Cambridge Publishes Neo-Creationism

John E. Rylander (rylander@prolexia.com)
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 19:56:48 -0500

Marty,

Thanks for your note.

As many on both sides of the issue can testify, I have been rather stern in
my criticisms of YEC and PC arguments, and have more than once complained
about the grievously low quality of their arguments in this discussion
group.

I also have serious questions about Dembski's arguments as presented in the
most recent First Things, e.g.. (In particular, his [and seemingly Behe's]
claim that "x is irreducibly complex" entails "x did not arise via
evolution". I don't think I understand his claims wrt "specified
complexity" yet; they don't yet make compelling sense to me, anyway.)

That said, the tone of your message also seems to me almost
paranoid, -superficially- (I -hope- not deeply) fitting the stereotype that
miraculous-intervention creationists often give as the main reason their
theories aren't accepted: that the reigning ideology refuses even to
consider the possibility, and wants to shut them up lest they gain a serious
hearing in academia.

People like Dembski, Nelson, and Meyer (and even Johnson, -when- he stays
within his areas of expertise and doesn't mistake himself for either a
philosopher or scientist) are smart, reasonable people. (Berlinski OTOH
seems to me more rhetorical, a gifted writer and clever debater but not
particularly philosophically or scientifically precise -- a fatal flaw in
these discussions.) I suspect they're wrong, but I also think science has
nothing to fear from -their- ilk. They'll gain a real -foothold- in
science, versus a mere hearing (and lay following), if and only if they
start producing good empirical results. They should be allowed to try, even
if this also means allowing them to fail. (They've nothing to show for it
yet, -that I've seen-. Maybe it's because the project is so young; or it
may be that it's just wrong. Time will tell.)

Just because there are a -lot- of (I speak crudely) idiots coming from
further out along the spectrum doesn't mean that intelligent versions of the
broad project are false, let alone worthless, let alone dangerous.

Let's throw out the bath water. But keep the baby in the crib. If strong
and smart enough, it can fight for itself and survive and mature.

(Okay, so the metaphor fails.... :^> )

--John Rylander