RE: A Poll On Abiogenesis (Spontaneous Generation)

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Sat, 03 Oct 1998 16:12:46 -0500

At 12:26 PM 10/3/98 -0700, Pim van Meurs wrote:
>At 10:51 AM 10/3/98 -0700, Pim van Meurs wrote:
>>And what about the probability of non-natural origin of life ?
>
>Glenn: <<considering I don't think the universe itself is possible with
out a God, I would say that the probability is 1, especially when one
considers that the universe must be constructed correctly to enable life to
exist. >>

>But what about calculations showing the probability ? The argument also
rests on the assumption that our universe is the only one that can sustain
life. Perhaps the life we see is what this universe can sustain rather than
because of life the universe had to be 'built to spec' ?

Considering that the very definition of the universe is 'all that there is'
and by definition, if we can communicate with another 'universe' then we
are in the same universe, we can only have a sample of 1 universe. But I
would gladly provide the calculation if you can provide the observational
evidence for the existence of alternative, causally disjoint universes. :-)

Since I haven't seen any observational evidence for alternative universes
(and by definition can't), I think the assumption I rest my probability
upon is actually pretty good.
glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood