Re: Destructive criticism - last post

Stephen Jones (sejones@ibm.net)
Wed, 03 Jun 1998 06:49:39 +0800

Glenn

On Thu, 28 May 1998 21:03:31 -0500, Glenn R. Morton wrote:

[...]

>SJ>I said "regularly". I will ask you one more time:
>>
>>Do you go *regularly* to church? Do you read the Bible and pray *regularly*?
>>Do you pray for your `enemies' like Morris, Gish, Ross and Johnson?
>>
>>It is no crime if you don't *regularly* go to church, or read the Bible and pray
>>*regularly*. But it is a bit naughty to keep evading the question. How about
>>a simple "yes" or "no" (Mt 5:37).

GM>While frankly, it is absolutely none of your darned business what my church
>attendance is or what my Bible reading habits are, I will answer this and
>then I am through with you.

If you publicly destructively criticise leading Christian apologists like Hugh Ross
and Phil Johnson, while claiming to be a Christian, then I will make it my "business"
to enquire just what your Christian standing is.

GM>I go to church every Sunday, unless I am out of town....Do I pray for those who
>differ from me? Often. Do I read the Bible--nearly every day (not all,

I am glad to hear (finally!) that at least you go to church regularly. I am less pleased
that you do not seem to pray as regulalry for those Christian apologists whom you
destructively criticise.

GM> I can't live up to your standards of perfection.)

Yet you expect Christian apologists to live up to *your* "standards of perfection"! Consider
your perfectionistic attack on Phil Johnson for his statement that whales and bats came
from a "rodent", despite the fact that evolutionists like Steve Stanley say it too. And what
about all your pontifications about Christian apologists needing to adhere to higher standards
than non-Christians? You don't even live up to your *own* "standards of perfection"!

GM>Now get your nose out of my personal business!

If you publicly destructively attack Christian apologists, then your Christian standing
is no longer your "personal business" and I will continue to poke my "nose" into it.

GM>I find your repeated demands

They were just *questions* Glenn. I made no "demands". You could have avoided
those "repeated" questions by giving a straight answer the first time.

GM>on this particular issue to be rude, annoying, unchristian, unloving,
>judgmental, pridefully pharisaic, and holier than thou.

Just because I asked you if you regularly went to church, read the Bible and
prayed? Your overreaction here is *very* revealing.

GM>Are you going to look down your nose at me if I am not as good as you
>think you, yourself are?

You seem to forget, it is *you* who thinks that the world's leading Christian
apologists are not as "good" as you are.

GM>You have NO right to judge me in this fashion. Who do you think you
>are, God?

Who is judging you? I simply asked three questions that any Christian should
be prepared to answer.

GM> I am a servant of God and am responsible to Him. I don't have to
>answer to you for my relationship with my God. That is between Him and me.
>With that, keep your nose to yourself!

I said all along that you didn't have to answer my questions. But if you as a
"servant of God" publicly and destructively criticise leading servants of God like
Phil Johnson and Hugh Ross, then the quality of your spiritual life becomes
an issue.

Steve

"Evolution is the greatest engine of atheism ever invented."
--- Dr. William Provine, Professor of History and Biology, Cornell University.
http://fp.bio.utk.edu/darwin/1998/slides_view/Slide_7.html

Stephen E (Steve) Jones ,--_|\ sejones@ibm.net
3 Hawker Avenue / Oz \ Steve.Jones@health.wa.gov.au
Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ Phone +61 8 9448 7439
Perth, West Australia v "Test everything." (1Thess 5:21)