Derek wrote:

John W. Burgeson (johnburgeson@juno.com)
Sat, 28 Feb 1998 10:45:42 -0700

Derek translated a Scripture verse:

> Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
> and do not rely on your own insight.. Pr. 3:5

as "Believe and do whatever people who
claim to speak for God tell you to believe and do; don't
think for yourself, but allow the people who claim to speak
for God do your thinking for you."

Derek -- that is about as far off a translation as I can imagine. It is
so "bad" I am going to use it as an example (not quoting you, of course!)
in my Sunday School class tomorrow!

Is it true of some people? Of course. Just as some people "in your camp"
exhibit the same behavior! (Probably fewer, in proportion; I grant you
that much). Is it true of Al Plantinga? John Polkinghorne? C. S. Lewis?
Bernard Ramm? Glenn Morton? Brian Harper? Loren Haarsma? I could mention
numerous others who write books and / or chime in from time to time on
this LISTSERV, but you get my drift.

I was as you are now at one time. To some extent I was a person who let
other persons (non-Christians) do my thinking for me. That is because I
was really really busy with "more important" things. When I finally
figured out that maybe the claims of Christ were, at least possibly, more
important than computer technology, I started serious study. As Bill
Payne recently mentioned, such a study necessarily means one must be
ready to accept the consequences of accepting those claims, else it is
hardly worth doing. But that is another matter.

Too many many people have accepted those claims, through their own study,
for one to summarily dismiss Christ's claims as "for unthinking people
only."

Burgy

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]