Re: Debate

E G M (e_g_m@yahoo.com)
Sat, 28 Feb 1998 09:56:33 -0800 (PST)

So, what do you want?

If you don't believe the ressurection is a fact, why bother?
Is there in you some intrinsic animosity with that claim? If this is
the case I would ask myself why I should feel that way. According to
your reasoning evolution did not happen because some pepole deny it,
in fact some people deny man has been on the moon. Please, search
independently of the scriptures in Jesus rose from the dead. Do you
believe that Ceasar existed ? Well, there is more documentation on
Jesus resurrection thqan on Ceasar's existance.

---Derek McLarnen <dmclarne@pcug.org.au> wrote:

> E G M wrote:
>
> > The teaching on scientific validation is totally
> > independent from the
> > veracity of the account. The veracity of the account
> > rests on the
> > resurrection of Christ which is a historical event.
>
> Not quite! The veracity of the account rests on the
> resurrection of Christ which is *claimed by many people to
> be* a historical event. This is quite different from
> actually *being* an historical event, since there are just
> as many (or more) people who deny the historicity of the
> resurrection.
>
> > See for example
> > "Evidence that Demands a Verdict" by J. McDowel (?).
> > There are other
> > passages that can be estudied from the same perspective,
> > for example
> > check the following webpage out
> >
> > http://www.webcom.com/~ctt/everythg.html
> >

> I haven't read "Evidence that Demands a Verdict", but I did
> check out the above web site. It says "critically examine
> everything" but implies that the Christian Bible is the
> standard against which everything should be examined. There
> is nothing on that web page recommending that the Bible
> should be critically examined against other secular or
> religious writings.
>
> For alternative coherently argued and well-documented
> viewpoints, see:
>
> "Belief and Make-Believe - Critical Reflections on the
> Sources of Credulity", George A. Wells, 1991, Open Court
> Publishing Company
> "Resurrection - Myth or Reality", John Shelby Spong, 1994,
> Harper Collins
> "After God - The Future of Religion", Don Cupitt, 1997,
> Weidenfeld & Nicolson
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Derek

> | Derek McLarnen | dmclarne@pcug.org.au |
> | Melba ACT | derek.mclarnen@telstra.com.au |
> | Australia | |

==

EGM
"in ipso enim vivimus et movemur et sumus sicut"