Re: New Flood Data

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 19:38:49 -0600

Hi Jim,

I wanted to point out that this is an example of the lack of any skepticism
that Christians greet a possible confirmation.

At 11:03 AM 2/26/98 -0500, Jim Bell wrote:
>Message text written by Gary Collins:
>
>>He believes he has located Joseph's
>palace in Goshen, and his tomb from which the bones had been removed in
>obedience to his instruction at the end of Genesis; evidence of mass graves
>where people have been interred hurriedly which he interprets as the result
>of the plague on the firstborn, occurring at just the time when the semitic
>settlers left en masse.<
>
>Exciting stuff. Isn't it interesting how archeaological discoveries are
>always confirming the Bible? I think specifically of Ebla, which
>corroborated Abrahamic Genesis passages long thought to be erroneous.

You have gone immediately from a theory to confirmation. This quickness is
what I was talking about this morning. Remember that Gary also said,

"for which he has accumulated a considerable
amount of evidence, though he is careful to stress that it is still a theory,
and has by no means yet gained widescale acceptance"

So the author says it isn't sure (although he has some evidence) and the
author's peers are not yet accepting of this view but you are already
talking about this being a confirmation of the Bible. What if it turns out
that this fellow is wrong?

and

Foundation, Fall and Flood