Re: Thermal runaway and heat

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 19:25:01 -0600

At 04:40 PM 2/25/98 -0500, Jim Bell wrote:

>Glenn recently asserted that Baumgardner's proposed thermal runaway has an
>insoluble heat problem. I queried Baumgardner about it, and he replies:
>
>"The runaway occurs because of two weakening mechanisms, thermal weakening
>and strain rate weakening. Because of this weakening the stresses are
>dramatically reduced (by orders of magnitude) compared with what they would
>be without this physics. Because the deformational heating is proportional
>
>to the stress times the strain rate and the stresses are so strongly
>reduced,
>the heating is not nearly so extreme. The technical details
>are spelled out in my papers and these effects are included in my numerical
>calculations. They are there for anyone with the technical background to
>examine and verify."

Which papers, the one that said that there was 10^28 joules of heat
generated and that I quoted? It seems to me that all John did was say,
"Glenn is wrong". That may or may not be true, but it doesn't clarify
anything. I raised specific objections that John is avoiding.

Things that would clarify what John is saying are:

1. What particular paper outlines the solution to the heat problem.

2. How much heat was generated. Has he reneged on the 10^28 joules he said
were generated in 1994?

and

Foundation, Fall and Flood