Re: Flood and miracles

Ron Chitwood (chitw@flash.net)
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 21:23:44 -0600

>>>I do not recall reading anywhere in the Bible that one has to believe in
any particular age for the earth or particular mechanism -- whether
naturalistic or miraculous -- by which the earth and the living things in
it came into existence in order to have salvation. People who try to read
this into the Scriptures are, I think, committing a grave error. <<<

VERY good point. Although as a YEC I argue constantly if I have the
temerity to say, "God created the earth in 7 literal days and if you do not
believe that, you are going to hell" then I am taking the place of God and
assuming I know as much as HE does. The serpent tempted Eve by telling
her, "You will be like God, knowing good and evil..."

Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
and do not rely on your own insight.. Pr. 3:5
Ron Chitwood
chitw@flash.net

----------
> From: Lloyd Eby <leby@nova.umuc.edu>
> To: Glenn Morton <grmorton@waymark.net>
> Cc: Jim Bell <JamesScottBell@compuserve.com>; evolution@calvin.edu
> Subject: Re: Flood and miracles
> Date: Sunday, February 22, 1998 6:51 PM
>
> On Sun, 22 Feb 1998, Glenn Morton wrote:

> > hear this "hermeneutical rules" allow this or don't allow that. I hear
this
> > from both liberal and conservative each arguing that hermeneutical laws

> > require opposite things. I have begun to think that hermeneutical
rules
> > are merely subjective and are used correctly when your interpretation
agrees
> > with mine and used wrongly when your interpretation disagrees with
mine.

> > The reason for this subjectivity is that one must decide what kind of
> > literature a piece is and the author didn't tell you. Secondly, even if

> > something is poetry and normally doesn't relay history, some poems DO
relay
> > history like the poem written by Gordon Lightfoot on the Edmund
Fitzgerald.