Re: uniformitarianism

Arthur V. Chadwick (chadwicka@swac.edu)
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 10:01:59 -0800

At 08:32 PM 2/17/98 -0600, Glenn Morton wrote:
>At 02:55 PM 2/17/98 -0800, Arthur V. Chadwick wrote:
>
>>While Fritz and Ammons' work is based on ring width variations, Arct based
>>his signature on a suite of rings that shared not only ring width, but
>>numerous other intraannual markers as well.

What you missed were the intraannual rings which is where the ring matches
lie. If you only measure the ring widths, there is not enough data to
effect a correlation in ha dozen rings. Whereas Fritz et. al. used only
ring widths for their determination, and therefore were restricted to
subjective matches, the intraannual rings matching within the matching
ringwidths, make Mike's work truly objective. I will repeat this, since I
seem not to be getting through. If only ringwidths were involved, what
Mike found is interesting, but not compelling (same as Fritz), but when the
matched rings exhibit intraannual bands that match up as well, the
certainty of the match is guaranteed. Check it out.
Art
http://chadwicka.swau.edu