Re: uniformitarianism

Arthur V. Chadwick (chadwicka@swac.edu)
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 14:45:09 -0800

At 12:06 PM 2/16/98 -0800, Greg Billock wrote:

>In the last exchange, both Fritz and Yuretich agree that the trees at
>Specimen Ridge were buried in situ, both from root evidence and from
>the surrounding sedimentation. They both agree that there are other
>fossil forests where the evidence is much more touchy or favors
>transport interpretations. (Or some combination of both.)
>
>I'm not sure what 'uniformitarianism' has to do with either model, but
>that seems to be the end of the story (no further publications on the
>matter).

Well, I would say you have done some selecting in your data. We were
publishing on the Yellowstone forests in 1984, and those were not our
conclusions. A lot of the work done about that time was done by Coffin,
Mike Arct (dendrochronology of the fossil trees), and ourselves, and the
culmination was that the Park Service did remove the signs and National
Geographic did change their maps.
Art
http://chadwicka.swau.edu