Re: Debate

Gary Collins (etlgycs@etl.ericsson.se)
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 08:42:43 GMT

Hi Eduardo,
I must apologise for being brash, and jumping in too quickly.
There are, of course, things which can be verified scientifically, and
indeed should be - eg when God heals someone in response to prayer, this
should be verified medically for the person's own good - and we see this
also in the Scripture. For instance, when Peter and John commanded the
lame man at Gate Beautiful to walk, their enemies could not refute it,
because there was the man walking and leaping!

I'm not sure exactly what I was trying to say. At the end of the day, of
course, we only believe what we do about God because God has revealed them
to us: "No one can come to me unless the Father draw him," and see the
passage (I think it's in 2 Cor. somewhere) about the veil that hides
the truth from the Jewish people whenever the Law is read, which is taken
away when they come to know Christ. And Job (I think) was asked, "Canst
thou by searching find out God?" (apologies for the old english, that's the
version that stuck in my mind for this verse!

Having said that, our faith should be a _reasonable_ faith, not contradicting
the findings of science. The difficulties here are twofold, of course-
although God's word is infallible, man's interpretations of it are not;
and in science it is sometimes hard to distinguish between facts and
someone's interpretations of those facts.

I did not intend to misrepresent you in any way; and I hope I have
managed to clarify my own viewpoint a bit.

/Gary