Re: Debate

Derek McLarnen (dmclarne@pcug.org.au)
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 22:38:56 +1100

jon thompson wrote:

> JT> Some more thoughts on the issue.
> > The issue is not whether Christian eduction has been tried and found
>
> > wanting,
>
> Sorry for the late reply - just back from holidays. Since Potter very
> clearly implied that it would be a good thing if theistic Sunday
> Schools
> could stem the tide of humanistic teaching, then it is very much an
> issue whether these theistic Sunday Schools, and Christian education
> specifically, can demonstrate a superior capability over humanistic
> teaching.
>
> DEREK,
> Potter was a signatory of the first humanist manifesto. What made
> you
> make the opposite assumption? I am up to my eyeballs in metabolism now
> so
> I cant talk long.

Oops! That's what comes of not checking the context and background of a
quote, I guess! It simply appeared to me that Potter was bemoaning the
"unfair" advantage he saw in a Humanism/Education alliance. Thanks for
setting me straight.

Should I therefore now understand Potter's quote as almost a claim of
impending victory? If so, while I hope he is right, I fear he has
reckoned without the substantial influence of those theistic parents who
invite/pressure/force their children to share their religious beliefs.

--

Regards

Derek

-----------------------------------------------------| Derek McLarnen | dmclarne@pcug.org.au || Melba ACT | dmclarne@nccdcfsg.telecom.com.au || Australia | | -----------------------------------------------------