Re: Tertiary Microfossils (was Uniformitarianism)

Karen G. Jensen (kjensen@calweb.com)
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 12:20:55 -0600

Dear Glenn,

Fri, 06 Feb 1998 21:21:35 you wrote:
At 11:39 AM 2/6/98 -0600, Karen G. Jensen wrote:
>> Notice the pattern
>>of K- Paleocene- Eocene- Oligo- Mio- Plio- Pleist sediments on a geological
>>map of North America.
>
>This is due to the gradual progradation of sediments into the Gulf of
>Mexico.

How gradual?

And all those sediments contain different fossils. If all this
>occurred over a period of weeks, how did the microscopic forms of life
>become very strictly layered in those sediments.

[data including species lists of Olig-Pleist benthic forams given]

Thank you for the assemblage lists for the Upper Tertiary in that region.
I appreciate the details you provide.

Remember that foraminifera reproduce very rapidly. The skeletal shape of
each generation is sensitive to the temperatures, light conditions,
salinity, other nutrients, etc. in the water as it grows. I remember a
paper by a man who spent his life classifying the different morpho-species,
only to discover that they could change from generation to generation!

Given a world
>wide flood model you must postulate that these animals had to invariably
>find the correct order to land in the sediments. INVARIABLY.

In my flood model, Oligocene to Pleistocene deposits are post-flood. The
drainage in that area takes months, years, decades ("gradually" by flood
standards; but "instantaneously" by traditional geological standards). It
is slow enough for foraminifera to reproduce, prodigiously wherever the
environments were suitable. In the changing conditions, from the warm
conditions immediately postflood to the cooler, drier conditions of the
pleistocene, I would expect considerable variation in each kind of foram
(some more than others), so I would expect changes of "species", tho some
continutiy of genera.

Karen