Re: Baumgardner

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Mon, 09 Feb 1998 06:11:16 -0600

At 12:11 AM 2/9/98 -0500, James Bell wrote:

>A. I believe that there is strong evidence in favor of the proposition that
>the Earth has suffered a major cataclysm in the past that is responsible
>for most of the fossil-bearing portions of the sedimentary record.
>
>Q. The great flood of Noah's day?
>
>A. Yes. There's an abrupt beginning to the portion of the geological record
>than contains fossils. There's a worldwide discontinuity in the record,
>above which we find fossils, below which we do not. Above that boundary
>there is abundant evidence that the sedimentary layers were deposited
>rapidly by processes that were global in lateral extent--a regime
>dramatically different from anything we can observe on the Earth today. The
>majority of the sedimentary record since that point is the product of
>global catastrophism. My work in particular has focused on what conceivable
>mechanism could result in such an event. I believe I have identified it, or
>at least a likely candidate for a mechanism.

While the Cambrian/Precambrian unconformity is widespread, it is not universal:

"There is no angular unconformity at the base of the Cambrian, and, indeed, it
is possible that the boundary of the system lies within the Arumbera Sandstone.
this formation is a fine to medium-grained quartzose sandstone which varies in
thickness from 250 to 850 m. " ~D. A. Brown, K. S. W. Campbell and K. A. W.
Crook, The Geological Evolution of Australia and New Zealand, (New York:
Pergamon Press, 1968), p. 55.
*

I can't find the reference now, but Siberia and parts of Newfoundland (I
believe) have continuous deposition across this boundary.

and

Foundation, Fall and Flood