Re: Darwiniana

Stephen Jones (sejones@ibm.net)
Thu, 10 Jul 97 20:45:48 +0800

Wesley
On Wed, 25 Jun 97 06:39:09 CDT, Wesley R. Elsberry wrote:

[...]

>SJ>It might not be "the whole of Darwin's argument for natural
>selection" but neither is it "a *gross* misrepresentation" to
>claim that "a raw, spite-only competition" was central to
>Darwin's argument. After all, he summed up his theory on the
>last paragraph of the "Origin of Species" by describing, nature
>as a "war":.. (Darwin C., "The Origin of Species", pp462-463)

WE>Well, I certainly wouldn't myself go so far as to say that raw,
>spite-only competition was not *included* in Darwin's
>theoretical framework. However, the person I was responding to
>had quoted an argument whose premise was that it was the *only*
>content of Darwin's work. That *is* a gross misrepresentation
>by any standard you care to examine.

We agree that "competition" was the *only* content of Darwin's work
but you have not indicated whether you agree that it "was central to
Darwin's argument".

WE>Now, you might want to re-read your quote, since it says
>*nothing* about competition.

What do you think a "war" is - a Sunday School picnic? Here is
Darwin's quote with a bit more of the context, which included not
only "war of nature", but "a Struggle for Life", "Extinction of
less-improved forms":

"...a Ratio of Increase so high as to lead to a Struggle for Life, and as
a consequence to Natural Selection, entailing Divergence of
Character and the Extinction of less-improved forms. Thus, from the
war of nature, from famine and death..." (Darwin C., "The Origin of
Species", 6th edition, 1872, Everyman's Library, J.M. Dent & Sons:
London, 1967 reprint, pp462-463).

Competition for scarce resources was a central feature of Darwin's
theory of natural selection:

"As natural selection acts by competition, it adapts and improves the
inhabitants of each country only in relation to their co-inhabitants
(Darwin C., "The Origin of Species", p448).

Not only did he term his theory the He devoted an entire chapter (III)
to the "Struggle for Existence" which included sections titled
"Competition universal" and "Struggle for life":

"CHAPTER III

STRUGGLE FOR EXISTENCE

Its bearing on natural selection-The term used in a wide sense-
Geometrical ratio of increase-Rapid increase of naturalised animals
and plants-Nature of the checks to increase-Competition universal-
Effects of climate-Protection from the number of individuals-
Complex relations of all animals and plants throughout nature-
Struggle for life most severe between individuals and varieties of the
some species: often severe between species of the same genus-The
relation of organism to organism the most important of all relations."
(Darwin C., "The Origin of Species", p66).

Darwin admitted that it was after reading Malthus that he gained his
crucial insight that competition was essential to natural selection:

"Already convinced that evolution had occurred, Darwin sought a
theory to explain its mechanism. After much preliminary speculation
and a few unsuccessful hypotheses, he achieved his central insight
while reading an apparently unrelated work for recreation. Darwin
later wrote in his autobiography: `In October 1838...I happened to
read for amusement Malthus on Population, and being well prepared to
appreciate the struggle for existence which everywhere goes on from
long continued observation of the habits of animals and plants, it at
once struck me that under these circumstances favorable variations
would tend to be preserved and unfavorable ones to be destroyed. The
result of this would be the formation of new species.' " (Gould
S.J., "Ever Since Darwin", 1991, p21).

On Tue, 10 Jun 97 20:03:49 CDT, Wesley R. Elsberry wrote:

>WE>...Darwin stated that natural selection would only operate
>intermittently, at long intervals.

>SJ>That would be true if a "Iong interval" was a *day* or an
>*hour*, because Darwin stated quite clearly that natural
>selection operated "daily and hourly":

>"It may metaphorically be said that natural selection is daily
>and hourly scrutinising, throughout the world, the slightest
>variations; rejecting those that are bad, preserving and adding
>up all that are good; silently and insensibly working, whenever
>and wherever opportunity offers, at the improvement of each
>organic being in relation to its organic and inorganic
>conditions of life." (Darwin, 1872, p83)

WE>It is true regardless of this nugget, Steve, and no, the periods
>are not days or hours.

Darwin says "natural selection is daily and hourly..."

>WE>First, this quote says up front "metaphorically". Consult
your dictionary.

I know what "metaphorically" means. But from the context I take it
to refer to the personnification of "natural selection", not to
its "daily and hourly" working:

"As man can produce, and certainly has produced, a great result by his
methodical and unconscious means of selection, what may not natural
selection effect? Man can act only on external and visible
characters: Nature, if I may be allowed to personify the natural
preservation or survival of the fittest, cares nothing for
appearances, except in so far as they are useful to any being."
(Darwin C., "The Origin of Species", pp83-84)

Evidnece for this is that the word "metaphorically" was not in the
original edition:

"This is the rendering of the first edition; it is significant that
in the second edition he modified it to read, "It may metaphorically
be said that natural selection...." (Livingstone D.N., "Darwin's
Forgotten Defenders", 1987, p47)

Also, elsewhere, Darwin said that "Natural Selection" was
"incessantly ready for action":

"But Natural Selection, as we shall hereafter see, is a power
incessantly ready for action, and is as immeasurably superior to man's
feeble efforts, as the works of Nature are to those of Art." (Darwin
C., "The Origin of Species", p67)

WE>Second, it also says, "whenever and wherever opportunity offers",
>which is also consistent with intermittent operation. Remember that
>events happen in parallel.

Read again what I said. My objection was not with the "intermittent"
part of your statement, but with the "at long intervals" part.

WE>There seems to be a pattern emerging that your quotes don't
>actually say what you think that they say.

No. You don't read carefully what my "quotes" actually "say"
but what you *think* I say. Read it again. You said:

"...Darwin stated that natural selection would only operate
intermittently, at long intervals."

I responded:

"That would be true if a "Iong interval" was a *day* or an
*hour*, because Darwin stated quite clearly that natural
selection operated "daily and hourly"

Nothing here about "intermittent operation".

Regards.

| Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ Phone +61 8 9448 7439 (These are |