Re: Process problems from Re: Evolution: A few questions

From: Robert Schneider <rjschn39@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue Jun 29 2004 - 14:56:17 EDT

George writes: "The fundamental distinction that needs to be made
&
> that is a distinction, even in PT, even though it's not as sharp as in
> traditional theology. The question of divine action is then how creator &
> creature interact. (& I emphasize "inter." Creation makes some
difference
> to God - something emphasized by PT but that doesn't have to be absent in
> other approaches. It certainly isn't in much modern trinitarian thought
> which is not PT."

There is another theological angle to consider in the Creator/creation
relationship, namely the participation of the creation in God. This notion
is viewed historically and developed within the context of the modern
scientific world picture by Dr. Samuel M. Powell, professor of philosophy
and theology at Point Loma Nazarene University, in his book _Participating
in God: Creation and Trinity_. In my forthcoming review in "Anglican
Theological Review," I try to summarize his argument, thus: The heart of
Powell's argument "is that the entire creation participates in the
trinitarian life of God. Creatures share both the spirit and wisdom of God,
Old Testament notions that emerge in the New Testament in the work of the
Holy Spirit and of the Christ in whom believers participate and in whom all
creation holds together. Thinkers from Athanasius to Aquinas to Tillich
have enriched this theology of participation.
     "The theological task today," Powell asserts, "is to build on the
tradition of reflection on participation...in the cultural context of
contemporary science (55). His own reflection begins with the fact that the
trinitarian life of God embraces both identity and difference. He explores
in detail these features within the Trinity, and then in the creation."
"This survey is followed by an argument for the relatedness of all things as
they participate in God. While the creation is marked and distinguished
from the Creator by the limitations of finitude, and in the human realm by
the presence and effects of sin, the full realization of that relatedness
and a full participation in the life of God is proffered and promised in the
in-breaking of the Kingdom of God and the eschatological hope of a
transformed creation."

The notion of "participation" is not one I've seen explored on this list
before, nor is it one that I had given any thought to before reading Sam's
book; lack of familiarity makes it a somewhat difficult conception to wrap
one's mind around. Yet, it seems to me to offer another way of thinking
theologically about divine action, or rather, interaction with the creation.

Bob Schneider