RE: salvation from tar pits?

From: Glenn Morton <glennmorton@entouch.net>
Date: Mon Jun 28 2004 - 19:08:52 EDT

Kenneth wrote:

> [...]

I guess I have always thought that it would be ridiculous to spend 1/3
of a barrel of oil to get a barrel of oil. My reasoning is that when one
burns a barrel of oil, one gets about 1/3 of a barrel of oil out in
useful work. Your values cited from Laherrere would exceed that value.
Now I do know they have gotten much more energy efficient over the past
6 years, but I doubt they have doubled the efficiency. Are the Canadian
tar sands in an energy losing situation? Any comments?