Genesis 1:1 - a standing miracle (was Re: Standing miracle?)

From: Vernon Jenkins <vernon.jenkins@virgin.net>
Date: Mon Jun 28 2004 - 18:33:20 EDT

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your readiness to grant me 'my miracle' - no questions asked; I
have modified the thread title accordingly. While I now consider how best to
meet your questions and comments regarding the implications of this
remarkable event (which I will do in due course), allow me to quote a little
from the writings of C.S.Lewis:

"The Christians say that God has done miracles. The modern world, even when
it believes in God, and even when it has seen the defencelessness of Nature,
does not. It thinks God would not do that sort of thing. Have we any reason
for supposing that the modern world is right? I agree that the sort of God
conceived by the popular 'religion' of our own times would almost certainly
work no miracles. The question is whether that popular religion is at all
likely to be true.

"I call it 'religion' advisedly. We who defend Christianity find ourselves
constantly opposed not by the irreligion of our hearers but by their real
religion. Speak about beauty, truth and goodness, or a God who is simply the
indwelling principle of these three, speak about a great spiritual force
pervading all things, a common mind of which we are all parts, a pool of
generalised spirituality to which we can all flow, and you will command
friendly interest. But the temperature drops as soon as you mention a God
who has purposes and performs particular actions, who does one thing and not
another, a concrete, choosing, commanding, prohibiting God with a
determinate character. People become embarrassed or angry. Such a conception
seems to them primitive and crude and even irreverent. The popular
'religion' excludes miracles because it excludes the 'living God' of
Christianity and believes instead in a kind of God who obviously would do no
miracles, or indeed anything else." (taken from Chapter xi of 'Miracles')

So, fellow members of the ASA forum, it is pertinent that I ask whether our
Christianity is such as can readily accomodate and adjust to the emergence
of miracle in our day. If we resist the very idea, we thereby deny God the
ability to act independently of human opinion, wish or desire- surely, an
indefensible position!

But assuming a positive response to the above, what, then, might be the
purpose of this particular miracle which, uniquely, now and hereafter,
offers itself for close inspection?

Shalom

Vernon
www.otherbiblecode.com