Re: Process problems from Re: Evolution: A few questions

From: Howard J. Van Till <hvantill@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri Jun 25 2004 - 12:05:10 EDT

On 6/24/04 7:46 PM, "bivalve" <bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com> wrote:

> I don't think advocates of process theology are deliberately setting out to
> make an irrelevant god, but I can't think of an observational difference
> between a deity that obeys the precepts set by process theology and one that
> doesn't exist.

David,

I have long appreciated your scientific contributions to this list; they are
typically characterized by a sound knowledge of the subject matter and a
patiently-crafted, clear explanation based on that knowledge.

What you say above, however, is of a different nature. Although it may at
first glance look like a statement about process theology, it is actually a
statement about your knowledge of process theology. As such, it appears to
me to be true.

If you are interested in learning what process theologians have posited
about God, the World, the God/World relationship and our apprehension of it,
I would suggest reading something they have written. Perhaps a small book
like Process Theology: An Introductory Exposition, by John Cobb and David
Ray Griffin (Philadelphia: The Westminster Press, 1976) would be a good
place to begin.

Howard Van Till