Re: What's wrong with this?

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Mon Jun 21 2004 - 22:02:21 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Donald Nield" <d.nield@auckland.ac.nz>
To: "George Murphy" <gmurphy@raex.com>
Cc: "Glenn Morton" <glennmorton@entouch.net>; "'Ted Davis'"
<tdavis@messiah.edu>; <asa@calvin.edu>
Sent: Monday, June 21, 2004 9:25 PM
Subject: Re: What's wrong with this?

> George Murphy wrote:

No, what was wrong with the CBS statement was the idea that weightlessness
has something to do with distance from the earth, as if it were a matter of
being "outside the earth's gravitational field" or something like that. (I
have seen that kind of assertion made explicitly in the past. It ranks with
the old claim that rockets couldn't work in outer space because there was no
air for the exhaust to push against.) & it doesn't. It shows a complete
misunderstanding of gravitation - not just of Einstein's theory (which
provides the best way of understanding the phenomenon) but even of Newtonian
theory (because of course 1/r^2 never goes to zero for any finite r). This
degree of misunderstanding, transposed to earth history &c, allows people to
think that humans were contemporaries with dinosaurs &c.

I apologize if my reaction seems to extreme but such things, stated
confidently by TV newspeople, make me go ballistic (so to speak!)

 Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/