Re: Evolution: A few questions

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Sun Jun 20 2004 - 19:16:02 EDT

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 13:57:01 -0400 "George Murphy" <gmurphy@raex.com>
writes:
> > In contrast even to a benign remodel, let me note what happens
> during the
> > metamorphosis of a frog. The embryo hatches and begins to grow as
> > purely aquatic form, breathing through gills. It strips algae off
> > supports or consumes eggs or other tadpoles. With every original
> part
> > fully functional, the tadpole sprouts legs, first rear, then
> front. Only
> > when the legs are fully functional for swimming does the tail
> resorb.
> > While the external changes are taking place, lungs are developing
> within.
> > With the lungs fully developed, the gills are lost. But. at the
> same
> > time, the small frog can "breathe" through its skin. Without
> impeding
> > feeding, another change within produces a tongue capable of
> catching
> > insects. The aquatic tadpole has become a frog capable of swimming
> in the
> > water or hopping on land with no down time at all.
>
> Dave, I don't know whether or not this argument is original with
> you. There
> have, of course, been comparisons between evolution & embryological
> development. But I haven't previously seen this argument for the
> usefulness
> of "intermediate forms" & think it's excellent. In fact, it simply
> blows
> away all the arguments to the effect that such intermediate forms
> must have
> been selected against in the evolutionary process. Of course I mean
> that as
> a matter of general principle. Specific instances of development
> may still
> provide difficulties.
>
> Shalom
> George
> http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/

George,
Thanks for your kind words. In answer to your question, I do not remember
seeing the argument previously. This does not prove that I have not
encountered it somewhere. I recall a story one of my professors told on
himself. He composed a tune which he thought was good. So he worked on
it, harmonized it, polished it, ready for publication. Only then did he
realize that the "composition" was a German hymn he had sung as a boy.
Hindsight may be 20/20, but memory clearly isn't.
Dave