Re: Evolution: A few questions

From: jack syme <drsyme@cablespeed.com>
Date: Sat Jun 12 2004 - 18:39:29 EDT

Welcome to the list.

I am also skeptical of evolution, and probably favor progessive creationism.
But I will try to answer your questions as I understand them.

You need to think of evolution, not in terms of the organism, but in terms
of the function of the gene. Dawkins wrote a book about this called "The
Selfish Gene". The fundamental idea is that if a gene confers increased
surviveability, it is selected for. And, it is then multiplied and passed
on. The argument about complex organs is the basis of the argument against
evolution by the ID (Intelligent Design) folks. And, I would assume the
evolutionist would claim that the intermediate forms also increased
surviveability, and that the genes that produced the intermediate forms were
selected for previously, and then another mutation later is selected for and
you have an eye, or blood cotting cascade, etc.

Symmetry itself is, it would seem, a epiphenomenon of notocord development.
That is, a central nervous system, with a brain, spinal cord etc, is an axis
that the rest of the organism develops around.