Re: The state of suburban theology

From: Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Sat Jun 12 2004 - 15:02:43 EDT

Come on Howard this is a bit harsh on Ted!

I would insist following Bebbington and as expressed by Mark Knoll (Rise of
Evangelicalism 2004, p140) that Evangelicals were part of the Enlightenment.
Also the Scottish enlightenment was not as hostile to Christianity as
Voltaire etc..

A good example of strong enlightenment on Christianity is Lessing, both with
his views that a historical faith is out and his disturbing multi-faith play
Nathan the Jew.

Amajor problem is that Hume defined Miracle as something which breaks
scientific laws, Christians fell for that in their apologetics on miracles
and made a rod for all our backs. A miracle is a sign of God whether or not
it can be "explained" scientifically. Morris develops this with his First
and Second class miracles.

I have a high regard of many enlightenment figures and a rejection of the
anti-enlightenment fad of today. I like Buffon who was not a Deist but a
rather wayward and probably nominal believer who did not care to take his
Christianity to bed with him as his mistress was there! His exposition of
Genesis One is fascinating and very much in line with orthodox Prots and
Caths of his day. Trouble is , is that it is in French.

Now to close rather wickedly and without malice remember Erasmus Darwin's
quip about Coleridge's Unitarian faith, "Unitarianism is a feather bed to
catch a falling Christian". I think ED was very perceptive at this point and
Coleridge did move to a Trinitarian faith of a slightly broad Anglican type.

Regards

Michael