Re: Gay Marriage/Homosexuality

From: gordon brown <gbrown@euclid.colorado.edu>
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 15:45:54 EDT

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, George Murphy wrote:

> Again, heterosexuals are offered a way to deal with the sexual
> urge - marriage. Homosexuals aren't. & even if homosexuals are able to
> resist the temptation to engage in homosexual activity, they are still
> subject to the same types of fantasies &c that Jesus referred to in Mt.5:28.
> It's all too easy for heterosexuals - who may either have a gift of celibacy
> or are sexually active in marriage - to tell homosexuals just to take cold
> showers. That may not be the best way for the church to be helpful in this
> situation.

Married heterosexuals face the possibility that at some time in their
marriages the Biblical requirement of faithfulness could only be met by a
very long period of abstinence. Examples would include a spouse away at
war, maybe even a prisoner of war, or a mate who is an invalid. In such
cases, if they follow Biblical teaching, they do not have the option of
marrying someone else.

A comment not directly rated to any of the current threads: I have seen
some egregious violations today of the four-postings-per-person-per-day
rule.

Gordon Brown
Department of Mathematics
University of Colorado