RE: Gay Marriage/Homosexuality

From: Alexanian, Moorad <alexanian@uncw.edu>
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 10:53:30 EDT

Christ indicated what love is when He said; “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. John 13:34. Christ’s love was essentially sacrificial and humans can emulate that to a certain extent. Some have taken such verses to indicate that Christ had a homosexual relationship with the one or more of the apostles. Such people are trying to justify their following their natural tendencies so that others will find their behavior acceptable. However, the criminal can do the same. The criminal can say that he was born that way and so he is justified in following his natural tendencies. Note that both the homosexual and the criminal are breaking God’s law. God is offended by their actions. We also ought to be offended since we were created in His image. Moorad

The following letter was published in The News & Observer (Raleigh, NC)

February 24, 2003

Unnatural acts

In defense of "tolerance," a Feb. 14 letter-writer disparagingly referred to our society as "homophobic" and wrongly affirmed the "naturalness" of a homosexual orientation. Our nation was founded on the Christian faith and many of our policies, e.g., Abstinence Until Marriage, are based on Christian teachings and morality.

We are forewarned in Scripture, according to the New American Standard Bible translation, that "neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God." Must we, therefore, consider all such acts as natural and give hearty approval to those who practice them?

Diversity is really based on knowing that each one of us is created in the image of God, the Creator referred to in our Declaration of Independence. Tolerance and knowledge of who we are is best practiced when we "love the sinner and hate the sin."

Moorad Alexanian

Wilmington