Re: AIG Weakly News, 2/20/04

From: John W Burgeson <jwburgeson@juno.com>
Date: Tue Jun 08 2004 - 13:38:57 EDT

>>Was he converted? There is no evidence given that Art repented of sin
or put faith in Jesus. What is claimed is that he has put faith in the
scientific nonsense of Answers in Genesis. Such modification of the
gospel is accursed heresy, according to Galatians 1. Pointing that out
might get a little attention on TheologyWeb. >>

Good point. But from the reading it does not appear obvious that such was
the case.

It would be good if YOU would point that out on TW. I'm in bad enough
trouble over there anyway. <G> The thread (Silly Creationist claims) is
in the Biology section.

In any event, even if he premise is false, the result may be correct.
When I first became a Xtian there were lots of things I did not know --
or "knew" incorrectly -- about Xtianity. What I did know, for sure, was
that God had revealed Himself to me.

I've been working on the details ever since.

As late as 1991 I was still giving some credence to the YEC claims. How
much they were an influence on my Xtianity I don't know. I do know that
when I, like Glenn, finally figured out that ICR's claims were simply
nonsense, it did not have a lasting effect on my Christian faith.

I did feel a little like a goof though, having swallowed so much ICR
nonsense uncritically. <G>

I think it was a personal letter from Gish, about 1987 or so, that set me
on the "wrong" track. I had asked him about some obscure piece of data
which seemed at odds with the ICR claims and he wrote back advising me
not to read certain books and/or authors. That was bad advice; and led to
my discovery of Stephen Jay Gould. Whom I still admire greatly.

Burgy

This week's quip: I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.

                                                 www.burgy.50megs.com

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!