Re: AIG 2/27/04

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Tue Jun 08 2004 - 08:56:52 EDT

        50+ years ago my father, a classics scholar & conservative Missouri
Synod Lutheran, gave one of the faculty lectures at Ohio University on "The
legacy of Christian humanism." He was using the word "humanism" in what was
at one time its primary sense, the study of the humanities, & especially of
the language & literature of classical antiquity. "Christian humanism", a
concept that goes back to the Renaissance, places such study within a
Christian context and expands it to include culture developed within a
distinctively Christian culture - e.g., Dante.

        There have always been some Christians who had trouble with humanism
in this sense. That is the source, e.g., of Tertullian's "What is there in
common between Athens and Jerusalem?" But mainstream Christianity has
generally held that such studies are appropriate & even necessary.
Christians can appreciate everything that is good - & of course can
criticize the bad that may be mixed with it - no matter what its source.
Humanism in this sense is quite consistent with even quite conservative
theologies - as long as they are intelligently conservative.

        Unfortunately the term "humanism" has become identified with
atheism, naturalism, &c. Somebody else may be able to elaborate more fully
on the way in which the word took on this sense but I think it's largely the
fault of the kind of people who promoted the 1st "Humanist Manifesto" which
identified "humanism" in contrast to traditional religion. This sense was
then picked up by some fundamentalists - I think Falwell et al started doing
this around 1980 - as a term to discredit opponents. The result, I'm
afraid, is that the word "humanism" has become pretty much useless for
publisc discourse. If I said that my father was a "humanist", most people
would think that he was a disciple of John Dewey or something similar, which
would be about 180 degrees from the truth. The situation is similar to that
with the word "creationism", though in this case it's the atheists who were
1st responsible for debasing the word.

        OTOH I think that Burgy's usage below corresponds more to words like
"humane" or "humanitarian" than to "humanism" in either of the above sense.
(I inherited a certain amount of linguistic pedantry from my father.)

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/