Re: (no subject)

From: John W Burgeson <jwburgeson@juno.com>
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 16:13:54 EDT

Wally:> >> But at least we could tithe what is left. >>

Me:> That sounds like casuistry to me. Why would one not tithe (and
beyond) on the gross? Particularly as the tax system allows deductions
for charitable and religious contributions.?"

Wally: "To the contrary, Burgy, it is _your_ presentation that is
specious. First of all, I said "at least". Did you miss that or do you
ignore what people say on purpose? Is it just me that you have to
attack?"

No "attack" meant, my friend. My focus was on gross vs net.

Wally again: "A tithe on the net takes into account that deduction for
the tax itself by those of us who have the ability to solve 2 coupled
algebraic equations."

I'm not sure what you are saying here. Can you give an example?

Wally: "(and a tithe is not necessarily 10%. It is not with me.) "

It's just a definition, of course. In our church we speak often of
"tithes and offerings." The tithe is a predetermined percentage for each
person, one decided upon by the family. For the church, it is also a
predetermined percentage decided upon by our session (we set it this year
at 19% of gross giving; to be raised to 20% in 2005.). It is always
spoken about as being on gross income from all sources, not including
pass-throughs. "Offerings" are in excess of that, both for the individual
and for the church.

Burgy

Today's quip: Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

                                                 www.burgy.50megs.com

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!