Re: Church-State -- some history

From: John W Burgeson <jwburgeson@juno.com>
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 10:34:27 EDT

It is only you political liberals who think that the government is the
solution to all our social problems.>>

I have never said this. Trying to solve social problems, at least partly,
has been ingrained in my own life for many years, for the gov't cannot do
everything, nor should it.

1. We were both active in the 60s Civil Rights battles.
2. We adopted three orphans and raised them as our own.
3. I regularly work with Habitat for Humanity and the local Food Bank.
4, We support Christian missions work is several locales.

That is what a Christian must do.

That is not all a Christian must do. he must also speak up against the
systemic structures of gov't which favor the rich and make it tougher on
the poor.

"So long as there should exist, by reason of law and custom, a social
condemnation which, in the face of civilization, artificially creates
hells on earth, and complicates a destiny which is divine, with human
fatality; so long as the three problems of the age -- the degradation of
man by poverty, the ruin of women by starvation, and the dwarfing of
childhood by physical and spiritual night -- are not solved; so long as,
in certain regions, social asphyxia shall be possible; in other words,
and from a yet more extended point of view, so long as ignorance and
misery remain on earth, books like this cannot be useless.
-- Preface to Victor Hugo's Les Miserables, 1862

Ubi Caritas

Burgy

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

 www.burgy.50megs.com

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!