Re: chromosome number, from "Design up to Scratch?"

From: Josh Bembenek (jbembe@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 12:09:27 EDT

    Dr. Campbell-

    "Secondly, chromosome number can change through duplication or deletion of
    chromosomes. Finally, polyploidy or aneupoidy resulting from atypical
    fertilization or errors in mitosis or meiosis can result in changes in
    chromosome number. Downs syndrome is an example of having an extra
    chromosome in humans. Wheat is a successful example of extra chromosomes
    through polyploidy. It has three sets of chromosomes and evidently
    originated through two hybridization events."

    -Great post, very clear. You highlighted the issue I have: normally when
    you think of aneuploidy and errors in chromosome numbers you think cancer or
    downs. I am familiar with plants and other organisms having more
    malleability in their genome, but generally mammals have much more problems
    with a lack of fidelity in chromosome inheritance/ ploidy.

    "Advanced and primitive are somewhat problematic terms, but high chromosome
    numbers occur here and there among many types of organisms. For example,
    some tiny clams have close to two hundred chromosomes. As parthenogenetic
    polyploid hybrids, they do not have to sort the chromosomes for meiosis."

    -I work in the cell cycle area, so this interests me. Can you explain your
    terminology here, I am not familiar with parthenogenetic polyploid, and how
    that relates to chromosome segregation in meiosis.

    "The puzzle for groups in which chromosome number is highly variable is why,
    not how. Changing chromosome number is not that hard, though it may be
    difficult to reproduce successfully if self-fertilization or asexuar
    reproduction are not options. Why certain taxa vary widely whereas others
    show hardly any differences is not known to me."

    -This is the exact difficulty I was thinking of. Naturally advantageous
    changes in chromosomes among mammals is difficult to imagine, especially in
    terms of reproduction.

    Josh