Fwd: Re: Whale stories: a challenge to subscribers!

From: Ted Davis (TDavis@messiah.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 09:15:57 EDT

    Some time ago I issued an open challenge, offering a cash prize to anyone
    who could find a copy of a book, alleged to contain first-hand testimony
    relative to the Bartley story, testimony from shipmates and the physician
    who supposedly examined Bartley upon his return from the adventure.

    The attached message will explain itself. My money appears to be safe!

    ted

    attached mail follows:

    Dear Professor Davis:

    "Swallowed Alive by a Whale - He Lived to Tell It." First off, I agree with
    you about the Allen and Unwin book, Whaling: Its Perils and Profits. I
    don't believe that it exists or has ever existed. It is not in OCLC and as
    you outlined in your article it does not appear in the British Library
    catalogue. It is not in the collection at this museum and certainly would
    be if it was, in fact, published by such a well-known firm as Allen and
    Unwin, London, 1900, no less. We would either have it or know of it. I
    believe Tench either made the title up himself or more likely copied from
    someone who had. Working on the assumption that he/they could have made a
    mistake (giving him the benefit of the doubt) I checked everything in this
    collection published by Allen and Unwin and everything with "perils" in the
    title. Nothing fits the story or even traces elements of it. There is
    nothing in the Falkland Island bibliography. What got me onto this in the
    first place was a copy of Tench's article that appeared in Man to Man
    magazine, W.W. Scott, ed., (December 1950,) New York: Volitant Pub. pp.
    14-15. As I read it I did not recognize the title of the book to which he
    referred, so I naturally wanted to acquire it for the museum. I couldn't
    find it anywhere. So, for what its worth I don't believe it to be a true story.

    Sincerely yours,
    Michael P. Dyer
    Librarian

    Michael P. Dyer
    Librarian
    Kendall Institute, New Bedford Whaling Museum
    18 Johnny Cake Hill
    New Bedford, MA 02740-6398
    Tel. (508) 997-0046 ext. 137