Re: Paraconformities (was test questions)

From: Bill Payne (bpayne15@juno.com)
Date: Thu Apr 17 2003 - 23:12:30 EDT

    Welcome back David.

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 18:20:50 -0400 "bivalve"
    <bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com> writes:

    > >You should be asking whether a Flood acting over a
    > short period of time or rainfall acting over millions of years would
    > best explain our observations of the paraconformities I have
    > cited.<
    >
    > I would agree that this is the question, with a few caveats. One is
    > that this determines the better explanation, rather than the best.
    > Another is that wind, waves, chemical erosion, organismal activity,
    > and many other factors besides rainfall are involved. More
    > importantly, the examples of paraconformities are only a small part
    > of the geologic record; thus, the fundamental question is whether
    > Flood geology or conventional geology better explains the entire
    > suite of deposits in question.

    I'm not trying to be evasive here, but I am responding to the specific
    challenge made by Michael:

     On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 19:17:01 -0000 "Michael Roberts"
    <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk> writes:

    > Can anyone give me one creationist argument which doesnt turn out to be
    > false or a semantic game when it is scrutinised?

    This 'one creationist argument' is now limited to one paraconformity in
    the Grand Canyon. I am simply asking that we address this one feature
    and tell me the best-fit-with-the-data explanation. We have a gap of
    millions of years and erosional features limited to 8 feet or less! I've
    seen deeper cuts develop almost overnight in strip-mine spoil. Instead
    of putting the monkey on my back, tell me how you propose to erode
    (bevel) the entire Devonian section without lacerating the Cambrian Muav?

    > However, to answer this question, it is necessary to know what a
    > Flood acting over a short period of time would do. Thus, by
    > requesting that you provide a coherent model of the Flood, I am
    > trying to address this question. I have no idea what a Flood would
    > do acting over a short period of time because various Flood
    > geologists claim it could do anything that happens to need
    > explaining.

    As you well know, that sword cuts both ways.

    > Likewise, it is necessary to know what observations are to be
    > explained in order to tell what model provides a better explanation.
    > The question about what layers are attributed to the Flood has two
    > important bearings on the issue. First, I have had no opportunity
    > to examine the strata of the Grand Canyon,

    Neither have I; we're both having to rely on what we read.

    > but I am familiar with
    > the contacts found in strata in the coastal plain here in the
    > eastern U.S. I can provide plenty of information on how well they
    > fit with a particular model, if the model in question is considered
    > to be applicable.

    I've always thought that most of the coastal plain is post Flood, so
    those contacts probably would not be considered (by me) to be applicable.

    > Secondly, the layers being explained provide
    > important constraints on how well a Flood model explains things. A
    > process that takes days to weeks to generate a paraconformity is
    > incompatible with a one-year Flood model if the geologic section in
    > question contains 500 paraconformities (not to mention time for
    > depositing the intervening layers), for example.

    Since we have no idea how long it takes for a Flood to produce a
    paraconformity, this argument neither helps nor hurts either of us.

    > Of course, there is also the problem of chosing criteria for a
    > better explanation. What makes an explanation better? My taste in
    > explanations differs from yours, but if we can choose explicit
    > criteria we can decide whether one explanation is better by that
    > particular criterion.

    Your explanation would be better if you could explain how to erode the
    Devonian without eroding the Cambrian (more than 8 feet relative to the
    rest of the planar surface).

    Bill

    Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!