Re: The power of ten

From: George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 22:26:22 EDT

    Vernon Jenkins wrote:

    > George,
    >
    > Thanks for writing. Perhaps you will allow me to answer your question in a
    > structured fashion.
    >
    > 1. Regarding Rev.13:18, it is God who poses the riddle, and it is He who has
    > assigned the unique number 666 to the beast.
    >
    > 2. Our attempts (as 'understanding believers') to solve the problem are
    > intended to further some serious purpose - the words of Rev.22:19 and the
    > imperative of the riddle itself making this abundantly clear - and we are
    > encouraged by the promise of wisdom.
    >
    > 3. At first sight, the matter appears to consist in equating some
    > individual's name with the number 666. Clearly, this requires us to read its
    > constituent letters as numerals and apply some acceptable rule of bonding in
    > order to obtain the number represented by the name.
    >
    > 4. At the time of John's writing, two systems (in which all letters assumed
    > a double identity as numerals) would have been in common usage, viz the
    > Hebrew and the Greek. It would therefore have followed that the original
    > documents upon which all our Bible translations are based would, in God's
    > wisdom, have been as much sets of numbers as life-giving scriptures.

            Not exactly. The letters of the human languages in which the biblical documents
    were written were used to designate numbers by human beings & this provided a natural
    way (_gematria_), & one comprehensible to people of the 1st century, for the author of
    Revelation to encode a particular name in one verse. But as I said originally, this in
    no way ensures that any additional revelation is to be obtained by applying the process
    of gemetria to other words of scripture.

    > 5. So, to return to the matter of the riddle, we have to question its direct
    > interpretation, for that would lead inevitably either to a seemingly
    > purposeless 'witch-hunt', or else a realisation of the obvious after the
    > beast had assumed power. But if not this, what, then, can be its true
    > purpose?

            It had already assumed power. The name undoubdtedly refers to claims of the
    Roman imperium to divine authority & is probably _kaisar theos_ in Greek or _nrw [or
    nrwn] qsr_ in Hebrew.

    > 6. Because the use of gematria (ie the reading of words as numbers) was
    > implicit in the process of identifying the beast, we infer that it is - in
    > this context, at least - a divinely-sanctioned procedure.

            It is "divinely sanctioned" in Rev.13:18 because we're explicitly told so there.
    We are not told this for any other words of scripture. Besides, what we're told in this
    verse is the _opposite_ of what you're trying to do. Here we're given a number which is
    used to conceal a name. You're taking perfetly clear words & turning them into numbers.

    > 7. But has the same procedure a wider application as a tool of biblical
    > exegesis? While Rev.13:18 has nothing to say about this possibility, I
    > believe the favourable outcomes obtained by applying it to the Greek form of
    > the Lord's name and the Hebrew of the Bible's first verse must be considered
    > decisive. Thus, we find the letters forming the word 'Jesus' have a combined
    > value of 888 (as opposed to the 666 of the Antichrist); the number 296 being
    > a factor of both 'Jesus' and 'Christ'; the same number appearing as 7th word
    > of Genesis 1:1 ('...the earth.'); 666 appearing three times in a geometrical
    > representation of this first verse with its outline of 6.6.6, and so on.
    >
    > 8. The numbers indelibly associated with the Hebrew words of the OT and the
    > Greek of the NT appear to have a complementary and precious message to bring
    > to an increasingly apostate world, viz God is; He is exceedingly able; and
    > His Word, undoubtedly true.

            This adds nothing at all to the clear and unambiguous words of scripture.

            In sum, I see nothing here to change my original statement.

                                                     Shalom,
                                                     George

    > http://www.otherbiblecode.com

    George L. Murphy