Re: appearance of age and the goodness of God

From: Gary Collins (gary@algol.co.uk)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 08:14:32 EST

    Hello George,

    I quite agree. We don't need to postulate an instantaneous (or
    nearly so) creation. However, I don't think that makes the argument itself
    implausible. For it is not _impossible_ that God could have chosen
    to create the universe much the way we see it in the recent past
    (though I don't think he did) any more than it is _impossible_ for God
    to have created the universe much the way we see it last Thursday week
    (though I don't think he did). But IF he did, then some appearance of age
    _would_ be _necessary_; but it seems to me that a lot of the indications of age
    that we see could not be considered necessary. To me, this indicates that
    the age we detect is in fact real; otherwise the conclusion that God
    gave spurious and unnecessary indications of age seems inescapable,
    and that would seem to imply capricious deceit.

    Best,
    /Gary