Re: Does the Bible teach a flat earth?

From: John Burgeson (burgythree@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 30 2002 - 12:08:08 EST

    Jim wrote: "If faith feels good, do it" :-) "

    With all due respect, that would be perhaps the worst possible reason for
    embracing any faith.

    I note that CS Lewis specifically writes of "feeling bad about it" when he
    became a theist. I don't recall him writing about his subsequent change to a
    Christian in those terms but he may have. For myself, I was not at all
    pleased with the Christian message when I was still an ignostic/agnostic. I
    thought that, if it were true, I could have done a much better job.
    Fortunately, I was not asked to do this! <G>

    I became a Xtian on one premise only -- I was convinced that it was, in some
    mysterious manner, true. I've been 41 years now trying to penetrate that
    mystery -- I am still convinced it is true but I doubt that I'm really any
    closer to understanding than I was in 1961. But the game is, after all, in
    the pursuit.

    There are those on this list who claim to have figured out a lot more than I
    have. I respect their scholarship and devotion, but I think they gave up the
    chase far too soon.

    Happy New Year, Jim. Don't go away.

    John W. Burgeson (Burgy)
    www.burgy.50megs.com